(HealthDay News) -- Poisonous or harmful substances, from medications to cleaning supplies, should be kept safely out of reach from curious children.
Safekids.org offers these suggestions:
Make sure dangerous products, including bleach, detergent and other cleaning items, are kept where a child cannot reach them. Under-sink storage is not a safe place.
If you do store dangerous products in cabinets that a child can reach, secure them with a safety lock.
Many unexpected items, such as makeup, plants, personal care products and art supplies, also can be hazardous and shouldn't be within a child's reach.
Make sure all medications are stored out of a child's reach.
Inspect your home for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling paint or paint from surfaces that a child could chew.
Have the national Poison Help number easily accessible: 1-800-222-1222.