High School Wellness Center Services in Delaware
The Wellness Center Advisory Board, made up of parents, students, faculty and healthcare providers, developed the services available at each school. Services are provided by Bayhealth at no cost to students or their families. Any student registered at a school with a Bayhealth-sponsored Wellness Center is eligible to become a member.
Students must have parental or legal guardian consent to use these services, which include:
- Physical health - routine physical exams, sports or employment physicals, treatment of minor illnesses or injuries, immunizations, prescriptions for routine medications, family physician follow-up, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and identification and referral for treatment of high-risk conditions.
- Mental health - drug and alcohol counseling, self-esteem enhancement, stress and anxiety intervention, suicide prevention, individual and family counseling and referral services.
- Nutrition - information on healthy eating, special diets, weight management and sports nutrition.
- Laboratory tests - simple blood tests, throat cultures and pregnancy testing.
- Education - programs to promote a healthy and safe lifestyle, including smoking prevention/cessation, individual and group health education, HIV and AIDS education, responsible decision making, healthy lifestyle habits and health promotion.