640 South State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
21 West Clarke AvenueMilford, Delaware 19963
401 North Carter RoadSmyrna, DE 19977
640 S. State StreetDover DE 1990121 West Clarke AvenueMilford DE 19963
301 Jefferson AveMilford, DE 19963
1275 S. State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
Almost all poisonings happen in homes, and more than half involve children younger than age 6.
The following steps can help you prevent a poisoning in your home:
Never leave small children alone in a room with cleaning, cosmetic, or medical products. A child can quickly and easily pull allergy pills from a purse or a drain cleaner from a grocery bag.
Keep alcohol and tobacco products out of reach. Both can cause long-term physical damage or death if swallowed by a child.
Keep medications, vitamins, and herbal remedies put away. Vitamin pills that contain iron can kill a child. Many medications are mildly to highly toxic. Some like heart medication, blood thinners, chemotherapeutic agents, and others, can kill a child.
Be sure you give a child the right dose of the right medication. Overdosing can cause serious reactions.
Remove poisonous plants. Caladium, castor bean plant (one bean can kill a child), elephant's ear, philodendron, mistletoe, holly, and dieffenbachia can cause skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, and other side effects if eaten by children.
Check gas-powered appliances regularly for carbon monoxide leaks and make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Check these locations in your home for dangerous products. Store the following poisonous products securely:
Garage. Antifreeze, windshield cleaner, gasoline, charcoal lighter, pesticides, fertilizers, garden chemicals, fungicides, and flea and pest powder.
Bedrooms. Cosmetics, cologne, hair spray, nail polish and remover, mothballs, medications, and vitamins.
Bathroom or laundry room. Pine oil, drain and toilet cleaners, bleach, disinfectants, detergents, and aerosol sprays.
Kitchen. Insect killer, metal polish, alcohol, dishwashing detergent, and oven cleaner.
Home workshop. Solder, lead, cadmium, formaldehyde, solvents, paint, and paint thinner.
Don't rely on just 1 poison control measure. For safety's sake:
Store harmful products out of sight and reach.
Keep products in their original containers. For example, never store bleach or toxic liquids in milk bottles.
Use products only for their intended purposes.
If your child swallows a poison:
Call 911 or your local emergency number, or a poison control center: 800-222-1222.
Read the label of the swallowed product to the medical specialist.
Follow the instructions of the medical personnel exactly. Don't make your child throw up. Vomiting can cause further damage if lye, dishwashing detergents, drain cleaners, paint thinners, and certain other substances were swallowed.
Bayhealth is Southern Delaware’s healthcare leader with hospitals in Dover and in Milford. Bayhealth provides a wide range of medical services, including cardiovascular, cancer, orthopaedics and rehabilitation, pediatrics, respiratory care, sleep care, surgical weight loss and women’s services.