640 South State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
21 West Clarke AvenueMilford, Delaware 19963
401 North Carter RoadSmyrna, DE 19977
640 S. State StreetDover DE 1990121 West Clarke AvenueMilford DE 19963
301 Jefferson AveMilford, DE 19963
1275 S. State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
This test measures the amount of mercury in your blood.
Mercury is a heavy metal that can be toxic. It occurs naturally as a liquid at room temperature and as an odorless vapor.
You can be exposed to mercury from polluted air or water. You can also be exposed if you work in an industry that still uses mercury, from eating fish that are high in mercury, and from some complementary and alternative health remedies.
Long-term exposure to mercury can cause kidney and brain damage in adults. Exposure to mercury during pregnancy can cause permanent damage to the developing fetus. Breastfeeding may also expose infants to mercury.
Children who are exposed to mercury can suffer damage to their kidneys, nervous system, and digestive system.
Mercury is also in silver amalgam dental fillings. Tiny amounts of mercury may be absorbed from these fillings, but this amount is not likely to cause health problems.
You may have this test if your healthcare provider suspects that you have mercury poisoning. Symptoms include:
Shortness of breath
Inhaling mercury can cause:
Burning sensation in your mouth
You may also need this test to monitor your safety if it's possible that you could be exposed to mercury at your work.
You may also have this test if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and have been exposed to high levels of mercury.
Your healthcare provider may also order tests of your urine or breastmilk to measure for mercury. He or she may also test hair from your scalp to measure mercury exposure.
Many things may affect your lab test results. These include the method each lab uses to do the test. Even if your test results are different from the normal value, you may not have a problem. To learn what the results mean for you, talk with your healthcare provider.
The results of this test are given in nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). Having some mercury in your blood does not mean you will develop health problems.
Here is the breakdown on higher results:
5 ng/mL: This may mean you are being exposed to unhealthy levels of mercury at your work or in your diet.
30 to 40 ng/mL: This level usually causes some symptoms and some brain or kidney damage.
Above 100 ng/mL: This is considered mercury poisoning.
The test requires a blood sample, which is drawn through a needle from a vein in your arm.
Taking a blood sample with a needle carries risks that include bleeding, infection, bruising, or feeling dizzy. When the needle pricks your arm, you may feel a slight stinging sensation or pain. Afterward, the site may be slightly sore.
Certain Chinese herbal products or skin-lightening creams that contain mercury can cause your blood level to rise. Eating fish and shellfish that contain high levels of mercury can raise your mercury levels.
You don't need to prepare for this test.
Bayhealth is Southern Delaware’s healthcare leader with hospitals in Dover and in Milford. Bayhealth provides a wide range of medical services, including cardiovascular, cancer, orthopaedics and rehabilitation, pediatrics, respiratory care, sleep care, surgical weight loss and women’s services.