640 South State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
21 West Clarke AvenueMilford, Delaware 19963
401 North Carter RoadSmyrna, DE 19977
640 S. State StreetDover DE 1990121 West Clarke AvenueMilford DE 19963
301 Jefferson AveMilford, DE 19963
1275 S. State StreetDover, Delaware 19901
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are native American plants. They may collectively be called poison ivy. These plants cause an allergic reaction in most people who are exposed to them. To be allergic to poison ivy, you must come in contact with the plant once for sensitization to the oils to occur. This means that next time contact with the plant occurs, a reaction may occur. An allergic reaction can’t be spread from one person to another by touching the blisters or from the fluid inside the blisters. But, it can be spread if the plant oils remain on the skin, clothes, or shoes.
The resin in the plants contains an oily substance called urushiol. Urushiol is easily passed from the plants to other objects, including tools and animals. This chemical can remain active for a year or longer. It is important to know that the oils can be passed from clothing, pets, or smoke from a burning plant.
The allergic reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac is usually contact dermatitis, which may occur several hours, days, or even weeks after exposure. The dermatitis is characterized by a rash followed by bumps and blisters that itch. Sometimes, swelling occurs in the area of contact. Eventually, the blisters break, ooze, and then crust over.
Diagnosis is usually based on a medical history and physical exam.
There is no cure for the reaction once the rash starts. Avoiding the plants is the best treatment. It is very important to learn what the plants look like and to not touch them.
If you have already come in contact with the plants, remove the oils from your skin as soon as possible. Do this by washing with ordinary soap. Repeat the cleaning with the soap 3 times. There are also alcohol-based wipes that help remove the oils. Also wash all clothes and shoes because the oils can remain on them.
For the itching, your health care provider may recommend over-the-counter creams, such as calamine lotion. He or she may also recommend bathing in a baking soda or colloidal oatmeal bath. These can be bought at your local drugstore. Sometimes your health care provider will prescribe a medicine to take by mouth for the itching.
Tell your health care provider if you have a temperature over 100°F (38°C) and the blisters and rash are on your face, in your eyes, near your genitals, or all over your body. After a medical history and physical, your health care provider may prescribe a steroid cream or injection to help with the swelling and itching.
In some cases, a severe reaction that causes swelling or trouble with breathing or swallowing may occur. If this happens, get treatment right away. This is an emergency.
Be sure to follow recommendations for preventing an allergic reaction to these plants by avoiding exposure.
While most allergic reactions to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac are easily managed at home, you should call your health care provider right away if:
Call 911 or go to the emergency room if:
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your health care provider:
Bayhealth is Southern Delaware’s healthcare leader with hospitals in Dover and in Milford. Bayhealth provides a wide range of medical services, including cardiovascular, cancer, orthopaedics and rehabilitation, pediatrics, respiratory care, sleep care, surgical weight loss and women’s services.