MALATHION (mal uh THAHY on) skin lotion is used to treat lice of the hair and scalp. It acts by destroying the lice and their eggs.
This medicine may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
rashes or open sores on the skin
an unusual or allergic reaction to malathion, alcohol, pine or pine scented products, veterinary or household insecticides, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This medicine is for external use only. It is a poison if it is swallowed. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. If you are applying this medicine to another person, wear disposable gloves to protect yourself from lice infestation. Shake well. Apply to dry hair. Leave on for 8 to 12 hours, rinse, and wash with a non-medicated shampoo to remove dead lice. Keep this lotion away from your eyes. If you accidentally get some in your eyes, rinse your eyes with cool water right away. Seek medical help if the eyes are hurting. Allow hair to dry naturally. This medicine contains alcohol which is flammable. Do not use hair dryers or curling irons. Do not smoke or go near open flames or electric heat sources. Keep hair uncovered. Comb each small section of hair with a clean, fine toothed comb to remove any leftover nits (eggs) or nit shells. Do not use this medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
NOTE: This medicine is only for you. Do not share this medicine with others.
This does not apply. This medicine is normally used as a single dose.
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other skin products on the affected area without asking your doctor or health care professional.
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
This medicine is used as a single application treatment. Itching may occur for several days after treatment. This does not mean that the treatment has failed. If live lice are observed in 7 to 9 days after initial application, a second treatment may be needed. Contact your doctor before applying a second treatment.
If skin irritation occurs, wash scalp and hair immediately. If the irritation clears, the lotion may be reapplied. If irritation recurs or continues, consult your doctor or health care professional. Slight stinging sensations may occur while using this lotion.
All recently worn clothing, underwear, pajamas, used sheets, pillowcases, and towels should be washed in very hot water or dry-cleaned. Close personal contact can spread the infestation. Family members and sexual contacts may also require treatment for lice.
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or other health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
redness or irritation of the eyes
severe skin irritation or burning
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
itching that continues beyond 7 days
mild skin irritation
redness of the scalp
stinging of the scalp
This list may not describe all possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Keep out of the reach of children and pets. Malathion is a poison if swallowed. Contact a poison control center immediately and seek medical attention should this medicine be swallowed.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Do not freeze. This medicine is flammable. Avoid exposure to heat, fire, flame, and smoking. After treatment, throw away any unused medicine in a container that cannot be reached by children or pets.