Bayhealth Nurse Harajimah Shallenberger, BSN, RN, is the latest winner of the 1A Peer Award at Bayhealth - Kent General Hospital.
Three times each year, 1A staff members nominate their peers and the award winner is selected by the 1A nursing manager and clinical coordinators. The award recognizes leadership, outstanding patient service and teamwork.
“Hara was nominated by her peers because of her dedication to patient care and the inspiration she provides to her teammates. She ensures that the patient has an excellent experience at Bayhealth, as she will do whatever it takes to make sure patients understands all their tests, treatments and medications. She is wonderful as an educator." said 1A Nurse Manager Dianne Halpern, RN, MSN, CNML.
In nominating her for the award, peers stated that Shallenberger:
· Really listens and cares about her patients.
· Is dependable, dedicated, thoughtful, loving, and caring.
· Always rounds on her patients, even before hourly rounding.
· She goes out of her way to ensure the patient stay is excellent.
· Inspires her colleagues with her dedication, and leads by example.
· If patients do not understand, she will make sure she finds a way to make sure they do.
Shallenberger has served in the 1AMedical Surgical Unit at Bayhealth Kent General since September, 2006. She earned her nursing degree from Chinese General Hospital College of Nursing and Art in Manila, and has served for 24 years as a nurse.
“My mother was a nurse and my role model. I wanted to be nurse since I was a child. It is really gratifying to take care of patients and help them feel better,” said Shallenberger.