Top Five Ways to Be Healthy This Summer
Most of us equate summer with warm, sunny weather and a great time for fun and relaxation with family and friends. But summer can also impact our health, in good ways and bad. According to Bayhealth Primary Care Physician Paul Pulchny, DO, here are the top five ways to be healthy this summer:
- Visit your local farmers market. “Take advantage of the seasonal fruits and vegetables available at local farmers markets,” says Dr. Pulchny. You can find out the locations of the ones closest to you online or in your community newspaper.
- Protect yourself from the sun. “I recommend using sunscreen any time you will be in direct sunlight for longer than 10 minutes. Don’t forget about applying sunscreen to your neck and ears.” Dr. Pulchny also suggests you always wear a large-brimmed hat to protect yourself from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Be physically active. “Along with spring and fall, summer is a great opportunity to get outside and exercise,” says Dr. Pulchny. Some examples include swimming or hiking in our state parks.
- Stay hydrated. “Hydration is important no matter the season. But with the summer heat, if you are sweating, you need to be sure to replace that fluid by drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily.”
- Be extra aware of people near roadways. “With it being nicer out, there will be more pedestrians and people running and biking, so be extra aware of them while driving.”