The mission of Bayhealth Pastoral Care is to improve the spiritual health of all members of the Bayhealth community. Bayhealth Pastoral Care has received the “Excellence in Spiritual Care” Award from Healthcare Chaplaincy Network.
Pastoral Care recognizes that people come from all different kinds of faith journeys. We diligently strive to provide or assist you in meeting your spiritual needs. The spiritual component to your health is important to us. Let us know how we may assist you with your distinct spiritual needs.
Pastoral Care strongly encourages the use of a patient’s/family’s own clergy when that patient or family has a clergy relationship through a regular place of worship. Pastoral Care is here when you need us.
Pastoral support may be requested by any member of the patient's care team, the patient, or a family member.
- Sacraments and religious rites upon request
- Prayers and spiritual reflection
- A chapel open 24 hours a day for personal worship, prayer and reflection
- Advice on ethical and moral decision-making
- Grief support
- Advice on end-of-life decision-making
- Individual counseling
- Faith-based literature
- Spiritual support through crisis and trauma
- Patient and family visitation
- 24-hour access to pastoral support
- Pastoral care referrals
- Special seasonal religious events
- Ceremonies such as Blessing of the Hands
A chaplain may be called when a patient or family member:
- Receives a difficult diagnosis
- Experiences a decline in condition
- Expresses concern about life's meaning and purpose
- Asks to see a chaplain
- Expresses the need to forgive or to be forgiven
- Requests religious ritual — prayer, scripture, sacrament
- Faces decisions regarding treatment
A chaplain may be called when a staff member:
- Requests support after sudden, difficult or multiple losses
- Wishes to explore spiritual issues
Chaplain Volunteer Opportunities
We welcome qualified individuals who wish to assist our patients with their spiritual care needs. Please contact Chaplain Harris at 302-744-7921 or Chaplain Isaacs at 302-430-5118 to discuss the possibilities. Apply online by completing the Chaplaincy Volunteer Application.
The Pastoral Care department is available to patients, families and staff 24 hours a day. A chaplain may be reached through the hospital operator by dialing 0.
Bayhealth Hospital, Kent Campus Pastoral Care
Bayhealth Hospital, Sussex Campus Pastoral Care