Empowering Weight Loss Patients with Information
At the Bayhealth Bariatric Program, we believe that the more patients know about their health and weight loss options, the better prepared they are to make choices about their care. That’s why the very first step for our patients is to watch a free informational seminar, which covers the basics of weight loss surgery, including options and what patients can expect before, during and after these procedures.
A one-on-one consultation with our Bariatric Program Coordinator follows to discuss whether you are eligible for the program and whether or not your insurance may cover it. We also talk through some of the financial aspects of care including financial responsibility, if you are responsible for all or some of the cost, and what options are available. Financial counselors are available at both Kent and Sussex campuses to discuss information.
Our Staff Ensures Medical Clearance
The decision to have weight loss surgery should not be taken lightly or hurried. As you explore your surgical weight loss options and prepare for the life-changing procedure, you will undergo a comprehensive evaluation to ensure that you are healthy enough to withstand surgery. Bayhealth Bariatric surgical weight loss patients are well prepared not only for the surgical procedure, but also for the lifelong changes that go along with surgery.
Bariatric surgery is not without risks. To minimize the risk of complications, you must complete a rigorous series of medical clearances, including:
- Cardiac clearance, which may entail additional testing and follow-up appointments, including an EKG, stress test and echocardiogram
- Gastrointestinal screenings
- Labs—electrolytes, glucose and thyroid tests
- Medical clearance by your primary doctor within 30 to 60 days of your surgery date
- Mental health evaluation
- Nutrition education for three to six consecutive months
- Pulmonary clearance, which includes a sleep study, chest x-ray, pulmonary function studies and evaluation by a pulmonologist
- Any other needed clearance as ordered by the bariatric team
We also recommend all Bayhealth Bariatric Program patients attend at least one pre-op support group.